Associate Director/Senior Scientist, Translational Biology
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Research Sci/Assoc/Mgr
- Industry: Biotechnology
- Post Date: 02/18/2024
- Website: www.escientpharma.com
- Company Address: 10578 Science Center Drive, Suite 250, San Diego, CA 92121, US
About Escient PharmaceuticalsEscient is a clinical-stage pharmaceutical company focused on developing novel therapeutics to address a broad range of neurosensory-inflammatory diseases. Our pipeline includes two first-in-class small molecule antagonists targeting MRGPRX2 for the treatment of various mast cell-mediated disorders and MRGPRX4 for cholestatic pruritus.
$140,000 ‒ $170,000 Annually
Our team is driven by the desire to make a positive difference in the lives of patients. We are passionate about innovative science and strive to discover and develop novel medicines, to bring value to the healthcare ecosystem, and to address significant unmet medical needs. We foster a culture of innovation, collaboration, transparency, mutual respect, and integrity and an environment where employees feel fulfilled by the work they do and are recognized for the contributions they make.
Escient Pharmaceuticals is a San Diego based a clinical-stage company focused on developing novel therapeutics to address a broad range of neurosensory-inflammatory disorders. The company’s pipeline includes two first-in-class small molecule antagonists targeting MRGPRX2 for the treatment of various mast cell mediated disorders and MRGPRX4 for cholestatic pruritus. Escient is led by an experienced management and scientific team and funded by top-tier life science investors.
The Senior Scientist, Translational Biology and Drug Discovery leads and contributes to the implementation and analysis of translational biology, in vitro and in vivo pharmacology for validation of multiple targets. This position generates and tests novel experimental hypotheses to advance discovery-based research and supports the translational strategy of clinical Proof of Concept studies. Broad experience in conducting a wide variety of neuro and immune functional assays with a clinical translational focus, the ability to lead studies with minimal supervision, and interact positively in a team environment is essential for this position.
The candidate must be comfortable with, and thrive in, a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment which necessitates a hands-on approach at all levels. Emphasis is on the ability to apply innovative scientific approaches to broad therapeutic strategies and broad knowledge of the scientific/ therapeutic landscape.
- Leads and supports the team to generate and test novel experimental hypotheses to advance discovery-based research and development in mast cell diseases by performing and overseeing various in vitro, in vivo and ex vivo assays as well as other methods
- Leads the biology team members to broadly support corporate goals and trains and mentors research associates
- Works effectively in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary setting of chemistry, biology, pharmacology, supported by external CROs
- Synthesizes information from multiple functions to integrate data and provide road map to next decision-enabling studies
- Provides detailed reports of experimental results, both oral and written, including reports to support regulatory filings and other external communications
- Leads project teams to represent the group to cross-functional teams within Escient and with external stakeholders
- Researches and understands relevant target and disease biology to be the go-to expert in mast cell diseases and other relevant targets
- Maintains awareness of current developments in the field through comprehensive reading and analysis of the literature including understanding of the competitive landscape
- Aids in fostering a culture of authenticity, open communication, transparency, integrity, mutual respect, and freedom to brainstorm and share thoughts and ideas
- Establishes strong relationships with external stakeholders and KOLs
- PhD in physiology, molecular biology, immunology, neuroscience or relevant biological discipline
- 5+ years of postdoctoral industry experience, including at least 6 years in immunology-related therapeutics discovery and early development
- Experience with translational in vitro and ex vivo functional assays using, primary cells, human and rodent tissue samples and human matrices with readouts such as multi-parametric flow cytometry, multiplex ELISA, and application of these techniques to pharmacological studies
- Experience in basic rodent handling, oral gavage, intraperitoneal injection, blood collection, and euthanasia; Conduct various IACUC approved laboratory animal procedures and techniques
- Experience with in vivo development of models of inflammation, autoimmune and pain with an emphasis on disease modeling for visceral, migraine, and other inflammatory disorders is a plus
- Regulatory Compliance: Support regulatory compliance efforts as instructed by the senior leadership in accordance with IACUC
- Record keeping: Keep detailed and clear records of all activities
- Aid in fostering a culture of authenticity, open communication, transparency, integrity, mutual respect, and freedom to brainstorm and share thoughts and ideas
- Communicate effectively within project teams and work to progress against goals in a multidisciplinary setting
- Demonstrated record of success in biological research as evidenced by publications and/or patents
- Desire to perform hands-on in vivo and in vitro biological experiments in a fast-paced research and development environment
- Experience in directing research activities including performing, critically analyzing and interpreting both pre-clinical and translational data
- A broad understanding of cellular and molecular pharmacology concepts within a disease setting
- Proficient in laboratory bench skills such as Tissue culture, ELISAs, Western blots, qPCR, Flow cytometry, and histology
- Proven track record of good experimental design, in-depth data analysis and interpretation based on strong scientific rationale along with effective troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Able to handle multiple tasks and deliver high quality results under tight timelines with high attention to detail and accuracy
- Adept at building strong relationships and collaborating with colleagues at all levels
- Motivated team player with a can-do attitude who is able to multi-task effectively and be adaptable to meet changing priorities
Salary Range: $140,000 - 170,000 annually
If you thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and are in search of a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team focused on discovering and developing therapies that will positively change the course of the health and well-being of underserved patients, we encourage you to apply. Escient Pharmaceuticals offers a positive and exciting work environment with competitive pay structures and benefits. Escient is an equal opportunity employer.