- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Clinical Research
- Industry: Biotechnology
- Post Date: 11/20/2023
- Website: www.hexagonbio.com
- Company Address: 1490 OBrien Dr, Menlo Park, CA, 94025
About Hexagon BioHexagon Bio is a data-driven biopharma company developing targeted small molecule therapeutics. Our proprietary platform combines data science, genomics, synthetic biology, chemistry and automation to discover potent, evolutionarily-refined small molecules and their cognate targets directly from DNA sequences. We are mining fungal genomes for inspiration for the next generation of targeted therapies for diseases with unmet needs.
Hexagon Bio leverages a genomics-based platform and understanding of natural product evolution to develop next-generation medicines for human disease. Hexagon Bio's algorithms identify gene clusters that encode the machinery needed to produce specialized metabolites that can be harnessed against human disease targets. Our unique platform allows us to produce new chemical leads based on these findings. We use data science, genomics, synthetic biology, and automation to discover potent, evolutionarily refined small molecules and their cognate targets from fungal genomes.
Location: Menlo Park, CA
As Scientist II/Senior Scientist, Cell Biology you will be part of a highly collaborative, interdisciplinary team, and will be responsible for the development and characterization of novel natural products, contributing to the advancement of ground breaking therapeutic interventions. Your expertise in cell biology, assay development and high throughput screening will be instrumental in designing and performing screening and characterization of new therapeutics, through various cell-based assays. By collaborating with chemists, biochemists, and cell biologists, you will provide solutions to enhance throughput and timelines of the in vitro cell-based assays. We are seeking innovative team members inspired by our mission to work collaboratively in building the next-generation drug company. Candidates should demonstrate leadership, scientific curiosity, efficient time management, excellent organizational and communication skills, and a passion for science.
The role is expected to be primarily laboratory based.
- Design and perform in vitro experiments to evaluate the activity of new natural products and their components.
- Establish and implement assays to assess target engagement, cytotoxicity and mechanism of action.
- Analyze experimental data using appropriate statistical methods, interpret results to guide decision-making processes.
- Collaborate with a diverse team of biologists, chemists and CROs to answer scientific questions and deliver quality and timely findings in support of candidate advancement.
- Effectively communicate findings and interpretation of results to multi-disciplinary teams.
- Provide cell biology expertise and guidance for the project team.
- Stay abreast of emerging technologies and scientific advancements for characterization of mechanism of action and cell based screening.
- Comply with company health and safety policies and general laboratory practices.
- Maintain detailed laboratory notebooks.
- PhD in Biology or related discipline with 3-5 years of industrial experience.
- Familiarity with antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs) characterization, including approaches to assess target engagement, internalization, and cytotoxicity of ADCs is desired.
- Strong background in mammalian cell-based assay development, preferably in cancer biology.
- Knowledge and hands-on experience in cell- and molecular biology-based methodologies, including multichannel/multicolour flow cytometry, fluorescent and live cell microscopy, cytotoxicity assays, qPCR, western blotting, and ELISA. Experience with live cell imaging systems such as Incucyte is a plus.
- Experience with routine 2D cell culture models. Familiar with organoid cultures is a plus.
- Strong desire to continue seeking new technological innovations supporting laboratory work.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to troubleshoot experiments and propose innovative solutions.
- Effective communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary research team.
- Evidence of scientific excellence and impact as illustrated by scientific publications and presentations.
- Initiative and boldness to dive into a fast-paced new startup.
What We Offer:
- A flexible and dynamic work environment where you pave your own path, Hexagon cultivates employees' unique strengths at all levels and provides mobility across departments.
- “All Hands Meetings” provide an opportunity to share company and team updates. These meetings are rooted in our value of transparency. They are designed to foster a culture of collaboration, curiosity, and open communication.
- Competitive compensation and a robust benefits package: a comprehensive suite of medical, dental, and vision insurance plans through TriNet, which offers additional voluntary benefits (pet insurance, accident insurance, home & auto insurance, and more).
- Equity and a 401(k) plan.
- Rapid career advancement for driven performers.
- Access to scientific conferences all over the country throughout the year.
- A range of amenities, courtesy of the Menlo Park Labs business park, including shuttle, gym, rock-climbing wall, pool, sports courts, cafe, bike lockers, and free EV charging stations.
- Opportunities to engage with the Hexagon community through team-building events like our monthly Hexagon Happy Hour and holiday parties.
The salary range is dependent on the level of Scientist that is hired (Scientist II or Sr Scientist). The salary range for this full-time position is $120,000 to $180,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across California locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
Hexagon Bio is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, membership in an organization, or any other non-merit factors
Note to External Recruiters: Submission of unsolicited resumes prior to an agreement set in place does not create any implied obligation.