- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Life Sciences R&D/Engineering
- Industry: Biotechnology
- Post Date: 05/22/2023
- Website: www.veliatx.com
- Company Address: , San Diego, CA US
About Velia TherapeuticsVelia is harnessing the therapeutic potential of a novel class of small human proteins, microproteins, which regulate biological functions vital to human health. Velia will discover and develop therapeutics targeting these potent regulators.
Velia is a transformative biotech company with the ambitious goal to harness the therapeutic potential of a novel class of human peptides, also known as microproteins. Building upon our founders’ seminal work, the Velia team is constructing and deploying a novel target discovery pipeline that integrates computational science, high throughput profiling, functional genomics, and human clinical data. Innovative discovery scientists are encouraged to apply and bring intellectual curiosity, scientific rigor, and a desire to discover important, new medicines for patients.
This Discovery Bioinformatics (Senior) Scientist will work together with Velia biologists to build and enable a novel discovery pipeline integrating ribosomal profiling, RNAseq, mass spectrometry, cell screening, and patient data to identify and characterize the therapeutic potential of novel peptides. You will perform computational analysis of high-dimensional genomic datasets (Ribo-seq, RNA-seq, single-cell RNA, …) in close collaboration with biologists, independently and collaboratively analyze internal and external datasets to generate hypotheses, identify biological insights/targets and guide experimental design.
- PhD with 3+ years of experience in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer/data science, or a related discipline of applied research experience focused on genomic applications
- Experience with secondary and tertiary analysis of human NGS datasets
- Proficiency in Python or R and UNIX development environments
- Working knowledge of linear and non-linear modeling, regression/classification techniques, associated statistical tests, and applied machine learning workflows
- A strong grounding in Biology, and particularly a familiarity with one or more human disease areas such as oncology, immunology, and metabolic disease
- Experience with neural networks and deep learning is preferred
- Experience with cloud computing or high-performance/cluster computing is preferred
- Detail-oriented, organized, goal-oriented, proactive, flexible and able to work collaboratively with a variety of groups
- Able to work in a team that values open and honest communication, embraces challenge and change, innovation and continuous improvement, works hard and loves to have fun, is fast-paced and displays a can-do attitude
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
$103,000 - $179,000 a year
On top of base salary, we offer comprehensive benefits, bonus, and equity. If this range doesn't match your expectations, please still apply because we may have another opportunity for you.
We offer a vibrant startup environment where every member of the Velia team will play a role in shaping a culture of inclusion, scientific exploration, and openness. We offer competitive compensation, including stock options, and a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid time off, medical, dental, vision, 401K, and a flexible spending account. Velia is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and will consider all applicants for employment.