- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: IT
- Industry: Biotechnology
- Post Date: 02/06/2023
- Website: www.veliatx.com
- Company Address: , San Diego, CA US
- Salary Range: $50,000 - $150,000
About Velia TherapeuticsVelia is harnessing the therapeutic potential of a novel class of small human proteins, microproteins, which regulate biological functions vital to human health. Velia will discover and develop therapeutics targeting these potent regulators.
Velia is a transformative biotech company with the ambitious goal to harness the therapeutic potential of a novel class of human peptides, also known as microproteins. Building upon our founders’ seminal work, the Velia team is constructing and deploying a novel target discovery pipeline that integrates computational science, high throughput profiling, functional genomics, and human clinical data. Innovative discovery scientists are encouraged to apply and bring intellectual curiosity, scientific rigor, and a desire to discover important, new medicines for patients.
This (Senior) Bioinformatics Engineer role will develop software and algorithms to enable the Velia Discovery pipeline. This will include but not be limited to the development of NGS pipelines, feature engineering pipelines, data warehouse infrastructure, full stack development, and LIMS integration. A successful candidate should be excited about the science and prospects of microprotein drug discovery but motivated by the opportunity to build key infrastructure and operate as a software engineer day-to-day.
Innovative engineers with bioinformatics expertise and a desire to directly impact early-stage drug discovery are encouraged to apply.
- BS with 5-7+yrs experience, MS with 3-5+yrs experience, or PhD with 1-3+yrs experience in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, or related field
- 3-5+yrs experience contributing to production codebases with software engineering best practices
- Working knowledge of secondary human NGS analysis
- Strong expertise in object-oriented programming
- Strong expertise in the design, implementation, and querying of relational databases
- Experience in full stack development
- Experience with cloud and or cluster computing
- An eye for detail, great data intuition, and a passion for data quality
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced startup environment
Nice to have
- Experience with SQLAlchemy and Postgresql
- Experience with LIMS (e.g. Benchling, Dotmatics, CDD) API integration
- Experience with AWS Batch, Lambda, and serverless architectures
- Experience with workflow libraries (e.g. Nextflow, Prefect, WDL, etc.)
- Experience with noSQL databases
- Experience with JS/React and basic UI development
- Experience with automation of ML workflows (feature engineering in particular)
- Biological background in a relevant disease area (e.g., Oncology, Autoimmunity, etc.)
We offer a vibrant startup environment where every member of the Velia team will play a role in shaping a culture of inclusion, scientific exploration, and openness. We offer competitive compensation, including stock options, and a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid time off, medical, dental, vision, 401K, and a flexible spending account. Velia is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and will consider all applicants for employment.