- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Life Sciences QA/QC
- Industry: Biotechnology
- Post Date: 02/06/2023
- Website: www.hexagonbio.com
- Company Address: 1490 OBrien Dr, Menlo Park, CA, 94025
- Salary Range: $115,000 - $180,000
About Hexagon BioHexagon Bio is a data-driven biopharma company developing targeted small molecule therapeutics. Our proprietary platform combines data science, genomics, synthetic biology, chemistry and automation to discover potent, evolutionarily-refined small molecules and their cognate targets directly from DNA sequences. We are mining fungal genomes for inspiration for the next generation of targeted therapies for diseases with unmet needs.
About Hexagon Bio
Hexagon Bio leverages a genomics-based platform and understanding of natural product evolution to develop next-generation medicines for human disease. Hexagon Bio's algorithms identify gene clusters that encode the machinery needed to produce specialized metabolites that can be harnessed against human disease targets. Our unique platform allows us to produce new chemical leads based on these findings. We use data science, genomics, synthetic biology and automation to discover potent, evolutionarily refined small molecules and their cognate targets from fungal genomes.
We are searching for a highly motivated Scientist who will play a critical role in our efforts to “Sequence the Earth” and build the largest database of microbial genomes and metabolomes as the starting point for our drug discovery engine. The successful candidate will contribute to the operation and development of Hexagon’s high-throughput culture and nucleic acid extraction workflows, as well as contribute to research around process improvement and scaling. This will require excellent microbiological technique, prior experience with DNA and RNA isolation from diverse filamentous fungi, and familiarity with the input demands of downstream sequencing workflows. Further, the ideal candidate will have strong organizational and communication skills and an adaptable mind as these processes evolve to suit workflow changes.
- Evaluation and development of alternative high-throughput nucleic acid extraction methods.
- Contribute to the development of novel high-throughput isolation and culture methods for filamentous fungi.
- Oversee project timelines and identify areas within the workflow that require improvement.
- MSc or PhD in fungal biology, mycology, plant pathology, or related discipline required.
- Experience culturing and extracting nucleic acids of diverse filamentous fungi.
- Highly collaborative and cross-disciplinary mindset
- Exceptional interpersonal and management skills that foster collaboration, teamwork, scientific excellence and innovation.
- Ability to perform at high levels in a fast-paced ever-changing environment
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills
- Ability to work at Menlo Park, CA location
Nice to have:
- 1-2 years of experience in industry
- Experience with automation (liquid handlers, robotic arms) and LIMS systems
- Experience with high-throughput culture of fungi
What We Offer:
- A flexible and dynamic work environment, where you pave your own path; Hexagon cultivates the unique strengths of employees at all levels and provides mobility across departments.
- Weekly “All Hands Meetings” provide an opportunity to share company and team updates. These meetings are rooted in our value of transparency and designed to foster a culture of collaboration, curiosity, and open communication.
- Discretionary paid time-off policy & paid holidays
- Competitive compensation and a robust benefits package: a comprehensive suite of medical, dental, and vision insurance plans through TriNet, which offers additional voluntary benefits (pet insurance, accident insurance, home & auto insurance, and more).
- Equity and a 401(k) plan.
- Rapid career advancement for driven performers.
- Access to scientific conferences all over the country, throughout the year.
- A range of amenities, courtesy of the Menlo Park Labs business park including shuttle, gym, rock-climbing wall, pool, sports courts, cafe, bike lockers, and free EV charging stations.
- Opportunities to engage with the Hexagon community through team-building events like our monthly Hexagon Happy Hour and holiday parties.
The salary range is dependent on the level of Scientist that is hired (Scientist I, Scientist II, Sr Scientist)). The salary range for this full-time position is $115,000 - $180,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across California locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
Hexagon Bio is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.