Undergraduate Intern Summer 2023 Process Development (Process Characterization)
- Job Type: Intern
- Function: Intern
- Industry: Biotechnology
- Post Date: 02/06/2023
- Website: www.a2bio.com
- Company Address: 30301 Agoura Road, Suite 210, Agoura Hills, CA, 91301
- Salary Range: $45,100 - $51,250
About A2 BiotherapeuticsA2 is dedicated to pushing the boundaries of science to transform medicine and turn the tide on cancer. We are focused on the next frontier in cell therapy: solid tumors.
At A2, our mission is to extend the reach of cell therapy to tackle the next frontier in cancer treatment: solid tumors. Our team is dedicated to pushing the boundaries of science to transform medicine and turn the tide on serious illness. Central to achieving this mission is our focus on recruiting the best talent and building an environment that enables our team to do the best work of their careers and make an impact on patients and society at large. As such, we are passionate about developing early-career scientists who are motivated by our mission to fight cancer.
This internship opportunity is for undergraduates. It is a full-time paid position (40 hours per week) located at our facility in Agoura Hills, California. The internship will begin mid-late June and continue for 10 weeks. The Process Development Team is seeking a Summer Intern with laboratory experience in cell culture work, preferably T cell cultures. As an intern, you will be trained and mentored by some of the brightest minds in the field and exposed to various aspects of the biotech industry. You will acquire valuable hands-on skills and experience in cell therapy product development and good manufacturing practice (GMP), while contributing to our science and pipeline.
You will have the opportunity to learn about Quality by Design principles and Characterization of cell therapeutic manufacturing process. Your project will revolve around the upstream process from leukapheresis product testing, cell-specific isolation/enrichment, scalable product development and process optimization. This important work will support the advancement of our autologous programs for Phase 2 readiness. You will design and execute a process-controlled study to define the parameters that could impact the performance of our process and/or product. In doing so, you will perform hands-on
laboratory work from initiating and maintaining T cell cultures to product analytical testing using various instruments such as automated cell counter, flow cytometry, fluorescent imaging systems, and automated cell isolation technologies. You will develop a solid understanding of CMC requirement for cell therapy manufacturing by working across the Technical Operation Organization which includes Manufacturing, Quality Control, Quality Assurance, and Supply Chain Teams.
The successful candidate will report to and be mentored by a Senior PD Staff member who will guide and assist you throughout the program. Most importantly, this program is designed to not only prepare individuals but also to fuel them to thrive in their STEM career paths with cutting edge experience.
Responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Design and execute process control studies to develop a thorough understanding of the process performance and cell product variability in the manufacturing process
- Perform hands-on laboratory work with primary T cells and leukapheresis blood products. This includes maintaining up to date lab notebook, following appropriate SOPs for aseptic cleaning and handling procedures, support all cell culture maintenance as well as general material and sample preparation work.
- Develop a solid understanding of process analytical technologies to perform test methods as appropriate for the project.
- Apply appropriate monitoring system to track engineering inputs such as time, temperature, and cell distribution for process control strategies.
- Analyze, interpret, and validate results of work performed for accuracy and completeness
- Maintain appropriate documentation of laboratory work and training as performed.
- Review and write technical documents including SOPs, study plans and technical summary reports as required.
- Provide updates and presentations of the work performed for the group and TechOps organization as needed.
- Currently enrolled in a full-time undergraduate program preferably at Junior year status (“Rising Senior”) at an accredited university / college in biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, bioengineering or a related discipline
- Legally authorized to work in the United States without A2 sponsorship
- Experience in laboratory coursework required
- Basic understanding of cell biology and laboratory safety attained during academics
- Knowledge and hands-on experience in cell culture benchwork and cell-based assay techniques
- Ability to execute experiments, analyze and present data independently
- Strong collaboration and communication skills – able to support or ask for support from team when needed
- Self-motivated and well-organized with the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Scientific curiosity and good attention to detail
- Competitive hourly wage (hourly wage range for this position is $22-$25 per hour)
- Company holidays during your internship (e.g. Independence Day on July 4 th )
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Health and wellness programs – Including on On-site Gym
Equal Opportunity Statement
A2 Bio is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability status.
A2 Bio requires all staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. In accordance with applicable law, A2 will provide reasonable accommodations to staff members who qualify on the basis of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
About A2 Biotherapeutics
A2 Bio is a biotech company in Agoura Hills, California. Our goal is to produce a new kind of cell therapy to treat solid tumor cancers. A2 Bio’s scientists have invented the Tmod™ cell therapy platform to tackle the fundamental challenge in solid tumor treatment—the ability of cancer medicines to distinguish between tumor and normal cells. The Tmod™ mechanism utilizes two receptors to exploit common, specific gene losses in tumors which demarcate the tumor from normal cells. A2 Bio is strongly driven by our commitment to highest quality science, passion to revolutionize treatment for solid tumors, and urgency to bring cell therapies to cancer patients. The combination of talented, hard-working people with the robust Tmod™ platform has fueled the advancement of our pipeline and publications in peer-reviewed scientific papers in the cell therapy field.
For more information, please visit www.a2bio.com.