- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Research Sci/Assoc/Mgr
- Industry: Biotechnology
- Post Date: 09/19/2022
- Website: ngmbio.com
- Company Address: 333 Oyster Point Blvd, South San Francisco, CA, 94080
About NGM BioNGM Biopharmaceuticals is a privately-held drug discovery company committed to identifying transformational medicines that dramatically improve human health. Based on emerging human clinical and genetic observations, the company has devised several innovative experimental approaches to discover new therapies for the treatment of metabolic andcardiovascular diseases.
NGM Bio is excited to hire a Research Associate II for our Protein Purification team. This position involves working alongside other researchers in hands-on protein and antibody purification and characterization with biochemical and biophysical lab techniques. It is an excellent opportunity for a person with a passion for proteins who wants to gain exposure to research groups across our entire research pipeline in drug discovery. The position is ideal for those with a bachelor’s degree and several years of direct experience with protein purification in an industry setting.
Core Responsibilities (preferred candidates will have substantial relevant experience)
- Purify antibodies and secreted proteins using chromatographic instruments such as Cytiva/GE ÄKTA systems or BioRad NGC
- Perform chromatographic techniques including but not limited to IMAC, IEC, SEC, etc.
- Perform protein characterization: quantification using UV absorption spectroscopy, SDS-PAGE, capillary electrophoresis (SDS, IEF), analytical chromatography, Western blotting, and enzyme assays.
- Analyze and document experimental data using various softwares (e.g. Excel, Prism, etc.)
- Interpret and communicate scientific findings in project team meetings
- Collect and organize data from multiple sources to be entered into NGM’s Electronic Laboratory Notebooking (ELN) system
Additional Responsibilities (candidates will be trained*)
- Performing analytical methods to evaluate the biochemical properties of purified proteins including DSC/nanoDSF, DLS, MALS, mass spectrometry, HPLC/UHPLC
- Protein chemistry: peptide conjugation, chemical coupling
- Instrumentation and control software: GE/Cytiva FPLC (Unicorn), Waters / Agilent, Hamilton, Biomek, robot operation and/or method programming
- Bioprocess: tissue or cellular disruption, fluid filtration (TFF or Crossflow), centrifugation, inclusion body preparation and protein refolding
- A degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Biology, Chemical Engineering, or a closely related field of study. Master’s degre with 2+ years of relevant experience
- Substantive laboratory experience using chromatography instruments to purify proteins; and enthusiasm for the other methods listed above
- A deep understanding of protein biochemistry, including biological mechanisms such as protein synthesis, secretion, and post-translational modification
- Comfortable using software for data collection and analysis
- Able to think analytically about data and present scientific findings clearly and compellingly to others
- Fluent with algebra and geometry to solve math problems to perform unit conversions, calculate molecular weights, prepare solutions (from powders or by dilution of stock solutions), and RCF/RPM conversions for centrifuge operation
- Intrinsic love of learning: a person who can integrate hands-on training, technical reading, and conversation with other experienced researchers to hone their scientific skills
- Team-Orientation: somebody who finds personal gratification in team success, appreciates and acknowledges their teammates’ contributions, and aligns personal growth opportunities with team needs
- Time management and flexibility: a person who independently plans efficient experimental processes, and handles deviations from the plan to complete assigned tasks
- Scientific curiosity: a person who engages with their colleagues to learn about their science and develops new ideas and methodologies that can be integrated with the team goals