- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Life Sciences R&D/Engineering
- Industry: Biotechnology
- Post Date: 11/22/2022
- Website: carmot-therapeutics.us
- Company Address: 740 Heinz Avenue, Berkeley, CA, 94710
About Carmot TherapeuticsCarmot Therapeutics, Inc. is a clinical-stage company dedicated to the discovery and development of innovative medicines. Carmot applies a transformative, patented drug discovery approach, Chemotype Evolution to explore novel frontiers of chemistry and biology. Using Chemotype Evolution, Carmot has developed a portfolio of drug candidates in metabolic disease and oncology.
Carmot Therapeutics, Inc. is a biotech company focused on the discovery of innovative drugs for the treatment of metabolic diseases and cancer. Carmot is expanding the frontiers of drug discovery through application of its Chemotype Evolution platform to advance new treatments for metabolic disease and oncology affecting millions of patients in need.
Carmot is seeking a Biochemist to join our Drug Discovery Technology Team and help leverage and expand exciting applications of the Chemotype Evolution platform. In this research position you will play a central role in applying Chemotype Evolution to identify and optimize novel drug leads for internal or partnered programs
The successful candidate will design, qualify, and execute biochemical assays for target-based, high throughput drug discovery programs powered by our core platform Chemotype Evolution. Working closely with scientists in biology and chemistry as part of a multidisciplinary team, the candidate will have to integrate diverse chemical and biological data to accelerate lead discovery. In this position you will be working in an exciting, innovative environment. The ideal candidate is a team-player, motivated by novel challenges and enthusiastically pursues creative solutions to achieve common goals.
- Design biochemical and biophysical assays based on literature precedents and/or experience according to program needs
- Optimize, validate, and troubleshoot assays for robustness, sensitivity, and reproducibility to enable implementation for high-throughput screening
- Perform compound screening in biochemical assays working with high-throughput workflows
- Monitor assay data quality and ensure assay data is communicated to project team in a clear and timely manner
- Design MOA studies necessary to understand molecular details for the activity of key lead series
- Regular presentation of research progress at internal meetings and with external collaborators
Required experience and skills
- PhD, or MS with industry experience, in biochemistry, chemical biology, or related field
- Understanding of methods to determine mechanism of action for small molecule activators/inhibitors of enzyme activity, including covalent molecules
- Broad knowledge of enzyme targets, including kinetics of multi-substrate enzymes
- Demonstrated understanding of quality parameters in assay development and optimization
- Prior experience with drug discovery and compound screening using biochemical and/or cell-based assays is desirable
- Excellent communication, organization and data analysis skills
This position is located in our Berkeley, California headquarters.
Carmot offers competitive salary, participation in our stock option plan, and comprehensive benefits.
Carmot Therapeutics, Inc. is committed to equal employment opportunity, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.