- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Life Sciences R&D/Engineering
- Industry: Biotechnology
- Post Date: 08/01/2022
- Website: eikontx.com
- Company Address: 3929 Point Eden Way, Hayward, CA 94545
About Eikon TherapeuticsEikon Therapeutics is a new biopharmaceutical company employing revolutionary technology at the interface of biology, engineering and chemistry to discover novel treatments for life-threatening diseases. Eikon’s discovery platform is built on groundbreaking innovations from its founders (Nobel Prize, 2014), culminating in the creation of microscopes which enable real time, molecular-resolution measurements of protein movement in living cells.
Eikon Therapeutics is a new biopharmaceutical company employing revolutionary technology at the intersection of chemistry, engineering, computation, and biology to discover novel treatments for life-threatening diseases. Eikon’s discovery platform is built on groundbreaking innovations from its founders (Nobel Prize, 2014), culminating in the creation of microscopes which enable real time, molecular-resolution measurements of protein movement in living cells, thereby unlocking otherwise intractable classes of proteins as drug targets.
This is a new position that will build on programs already in place to support the company as it expands its workforce in numbers and geography. In this role you will help build and grow Eikon’s EHS programs. You will collaborate with employees at all levels of the organization and in all department and functions. You will help educate employees about chemical safety, biosafety, laser safety, ergonomics, proper waste management and emergency response. You will also help protect the company by managing applicable EHS permits and licenses. This position will take direction and report to the Director, Lab Operations.
- You are passionate about helping employees stay safe and productive in the workplace and protecting the environment
- You can juggle multiple tasks and have exceptional time management skills
- You are outgoing, yet also a compassionate, thoughtful and a good listener
- Strong customer focus
- Shows initiative and ability to think creatively
- Strong attention to detail, and can direction, policy, and procedures
- Calm under pressure/emergency situations
What You’ll do
- Act as main point of contact and coordinate work of EHS vendors
- Ensure proper safety devices, signage and all relevant safety related documentation is in place and updated
- Perform regular walk-throughs and inspection of lab operations.
- Work with laboratory users to facilitate maintenance and EHS service requests and resolve EHS issues
- Maintain individual DOT and IATA hazmat shipping certifications. As requested, provide guidance and support to shipping personnel preparing hazmat packages.
- Manage submittals and filings associated with Eikon’s EPA ID (federal and state small quantity generator) and with the local CUPA
- Ensure retention and organization of waste disposal documentation.
- Periodically review and update EHS program documents as necessary: Chemical Hygiene Plan, Hazard Communication Plan, Laser Safety Program, Injury/Illness Prevention Program, Emergency Action Plan
- Serve as point of contact for regulatory inspectors
- Manage the EHS Training system and help develop innovative training materials to educate employee on safe work practices
- Manage Eikon’s OSHA 300 log
- Minimize the risk of ergonomic injury to employees through awareness, education, and early intervention
- Perform or coordinate exposure monitoring using standard industrial hygiene equipment and techniques. Includes noise monitoring, chemical exposure monitoring
- Bachelor’s degree in scientific discipline such as chemistry, environmental or biotech preferred. Five years relevant experience may substitute for degree.
- 8+ years relevant EHS experience working with chemical waste, handling hazardous materials, or working as a generalist member in an EHS organization.
- Experience working in a regulated environment such as biopharma, medical device, clinical lab, diagnostics, vaccines
- Knowledgeable of California and Federal regulations related to chemicals, biological materials, power tools/machine, lasers, injury prevention, emergency response.
- Familiarity with hazardous waste and medical waste management requirements, including federal, state, and local laws and regulations pertaining to proper handling, packaging, transportation, and disposal of waste.
- Have great verbal communication skills and be able to connect with employees at all levels of the organization (associates, managers, leaders)
- At ease speaking to small and medium sized groups (for training, presentation)
- Familiar with common chemical and biological lab equipment and processes.
- Ability lift, carry, push, and pull 40 pounds routinely (5-gallon drum) and move items exceeding 100 pounds (e.g., 55-gallon drums on cart).
- Must be able to handle chemicals in a safe manner while donning appropriate personal protective equipment.
- HazWoper 24-hr or 40-hr trained and hazardous materials shipping 49 CFR certified
Eikon is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment.
In accordance with the Company’s duty to provide and maintain a safe workplace, the Company requires all employees to be Fully Vaccinated with one of the FDA approved COVID-19 vaccines, which includes those vaccines that have received the FDA’s emergency use authorization. You will be expected to be Fully Vaccinated as of your Start Date. If you believe that you are exempt from this requirement under an applicable law or regulations, including Americans with Disabilities Act and California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act, you will need to contact the Company’s Human Resources group. For purposes of this section, Fully Vaccinated means (i) the completion of the vaccination regimen as approved by the FDA (by way of example, 2 doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine and 1 dose of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine), and (ii) timely receiving booster vaccination, as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.