- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Research Sci/Assoc/Mgr
- Industry: Biotechnology
- Post Date: 08/01/2022
- Website: ngmbio.com
- Company Address: 333 Oyster Point Blvd, South San Francisco, CA, 94080
About NGM BioNGM Biopharmaceuticals is a privately-held drug discovery company committed to identifying transformational medicines that dramatically improve human health. Based on emerging human clinical and genetic observations, the company has devised several innovative experimental approaches to discover new therapies for the treatment of metabolic andcardiovascular diseases.
NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. is focused on discovering and developing novel, life-changing medicines for people whose health and lives have been disrupted by disease. Our biology-centric drug discovery approach aims to seamlessly integrate interrogation of complex disease-associated biology and protein engineering expertise to unlock proprietary insights that are leveraged to generate promising product candidates and enable their rapid advancement into proof-of-concept studies. As explorers on the frontier of life-changing science, we aspire to operate one of the most productive research and development engines in the biopharmaceutical industry and our research team has a track record of producing an average of one new IND candidate per year. Today the company has seven disclosed programs, including four in Phase 2 or 2b studies, across three therapeutic areas: cancer, retinal diseases, and liver and metabolic diseases.
NGM has built a world class Discovery Biology organization and is excited to hire an Associate Director to lead our in vivo pharmacology efforts. NGM’s “disease agnostic” approach is best paired with a rigorous and fearless pharmacologist who excels at developing robust animal models across a wide range of therapeutic areas within a highly collaborative research organization. This position is ideal for an experienced leader with substantive industry experience in drug discovery and/or discovery biology research.
- Provide scientific and strategic leadership for the in vivo pharmacology group including managing resources internally and with external CROs to meet the department goals
- Identify, select, develop, and execute in vivo models to enable target validation and pharmacology studies across a wide range of therapeutic areas
- Be an important contributor to the overall drug discovery strategy development within discovery research
- Responsible for direct and indirect management of a group of 4-6 people. Mentor and coach scientists and junior team members to design studies and execute on research programs
- Support compliance with institutional animal care and use policies
- Author publications, patents, and investigational new drug applications as required
- Ph.D. with a Post-Doc and 6+ years of industry experience in drug discovery with levels of increasing responsibility as a group leader and an outstanding publication record
- Proven track record in developing and implementing preclinical in vivo models to support drug discovery programs from inception through to IND, with some experience in the field of oncology
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment where speed is paramount
- Experience leading in vivo research teams, directly managing and mentoring scientists, as well as junior researchers
- Demonstrated scientific productivity as evidenced by a strong record of advancing drug development candidates, and/or by a thorough record of high-impact publications, presentations, and patents
- Outstanding written, presentation, and oral communication skills