Research Associate / Senior Research Associate, Discovery Biology
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Research Sci/Assoc/Mgr
- Industry: Biotechnology
- Post Date: 08/01/2022
- Website: ngmbio.com
- Company Address: 333 Oyster Point Blvd, South San Francisco, CA, 94080
About NGM BioNGM Biopharmaceuticals is a privately-held drug discovery company committed to identifying transformational medicines that dramatically improve human health. Based on emerging human clinical and genetic observations, the company has devised several innovative experimental approaches to discover new therapies for the treatment of metabolic andcardiovascular diseases.
NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. is focused on discovering and developing novel, life-changing medicines for people whose health and lives have been disrupted by disease. Our biology-centric drug discovery approach aims to seamlessly integrate interrogation of complex disease-associated biology and protein engineering expertise to unlock proprietary insights that are leveraged to generate promising product candidates and enable their rapid advancement into proof-of-concept studies. As explorers on the frontier of life-changing science, we aspire to operate one of the most productive research and development engines in the biopharmaceutical industry and our research team has a track record of producing an average of one new IND candidate per year. Today the company has seven disclosed programs, including four in Phase 2 or 2b studies, across three therapeutic areas: cancer, retinal diseases, and liver and metabolic diseases.
NGM is excited to hire a Research Associate on our Discovery Biology team. This position requires a strong grasp of basic molecular biology lab techniques, will offer exceptional hands-on learning opportunities, and involve working closely with our scientists on innovative early-stage drug discovery programs. This role is an excellent opportunity for someone with several years of experience who wants to grow and develop in an exciting, fast paced environment and have a significant impact on drug discovery.
Core Lab Skills
- Competency in standard molecular biology techniques, such as nucleic acid extraction, cloning, qPCR, western blot and ELISA.
- Experiences with mammalian cell culture, passaging, splitting, and transfection
- Working knowledge of immune-based in vitro assay, flow cytometry, and data analysis/visualization software is preferred.
- Experience with fluorescence microscopy, Incucyte, or other imaging methods a plus
- Experience with in vivo methods a plus
- Critical evaluation and interpretation of scientific literature
- Work with team to create experimental plans to address cutting edge research questions
- Independently plan schedule for the efficient execution of experiments and completion of assigned tasks
- Prepare and occasionally order reagents via the company procurement process for experiments
- Enter and organize experimental data into an Electronic Lab Notebook system
- Analyze experimental data using Excel and GraphPad Prism
- Present progress reports and findings to internal audiences of collaborators
- Perform literature searches pertinent to current projects using PubMed and Google Scholar
- NGM places our researchers into job levels based on years of experience. Candidates will be considered for the following levels using this rubric:
- Research Associate I: completion of a Bachelor’s Degree
- Research Associate II: completion of a Master’s Degree, or a Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of work experience
- Sr. Research Associate I: Master’s with 3+ years of work experience, Bachelor’s with 5+ years of work experience
- Sr. Research Associate II: Master’s with 6+ years of work experience, Bachelor’s with 8+ years of work experience
- Associate Scientist: Master’s with 9+ years of work experience, Bachelor’s with 11+ years of work experience
- Prior experience working in a laboratory setting
- Scientific curiosity: enthusiasm for new ideas and the implementation of new methodologies in the pursuit of biological discoveries
- Team-Orientation: somebody who finds personal gratification in team success, appreciates and acknowledges their teammate’s contributions, and aligns personal growth opportunities with team needs
- Strong organization and time management skills