- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Life Sciences R&D/Engineering
- Industry: Biotechnology
- Post Date: 09/19/2022
- Website: plexium.com
- Company Address: 11494 Sorrento Valley Rd, San Diego, CA, 92121
About PlexiumPlexium is the premier, next-generation targeted protein degradation company, seeking to discover a wide range of monovalent target protein degraders that address the limitations of PROTACs and cereblon.
Plexium is a pharmaceutical company focused on developing first-in-class protein degrader therapeutics that go beyond the limitations of bivalent degraders and cereblon molecular glues. Our novel integrated drug discovery platform consists of state-of-the-art medicinal chemistry and DNA-encoded library technologies, ultra-high throughput cell-based screening, deep biological understanding of protein degradation, and extensive proteomics and informatics capabilities. Our integrated platform allows us to discover and develop novel degraders of therapeutically validated proteins for cancer and other important disease areas.
Plexium has a positive, friendly, and collaborative work environment with a culture that values teamwork, initiative, ownership and thoughtful risk-taking in developing innovative solutions to challenging scientific problems. We are committed to fostering innovation at all levels, cross-functional team collaboration, and supporting the growth and development of our team members.
We are seeking a Scientist to join our library synthesis chemistry team. This role involves the design and development of robust synthesis routes to prepare solution- and solid-phase libraries. The successful candidate will apply structure and ligand-based techniques, and medicinal chemistry knowledge, to design compounds to support medicinal chemistry programs. The role will also include the development of synthesis methodologies to expand the range of chemistries that are amenable to solid-phase library synthesis, supervision of less experienced staff members, and managing outsourcing collaborations.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Use structure and ligand-based methodologies, and apply medicinal chemistry experience/knowledge, to design products directed towards target proteins
- Design, develop and optimize robust synthetic routes to enable the preparation of compound libraries
- Supervise and mentor less experienced staff members
- Manage outsourcing activities with external collaborators
- Evaluate the scope and limitations of reactions and conditions for use in library synthesis
- Analyze and interpret experimental data
- Maintain a high level of productivity in lab
- Safely handle chemicals and reagents
- Produce clear library synthesis protocol documents
- Use and maintain common laboratory equipment (LCMS, NMR, etc)
- Maintain up-to-date and detailed records of experiments in an electronic notebook
- Clearly communicate research results to the chemistry group and interdisciplinary project teams
- Contribute to establishing a seamless working interface between the Library Synthesis and other teams/departments within the organization through a collaborative and flexible approach
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge of literature related to areas of research such as organic synthesis, medicinal chemistry, therapeutic targets
Education and Experience Requirements
- Ph.D. in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry with 02+, MS with 5+, or BS with 8+ years of chemistry experience in a pharmaceutical or biotech environment
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent synthetic chemistry skills are required
- Extensive hands-on laboratory experience with solution and/or solid-phase synthesis to develop and optimize reactions and synthetic routes
- Experience with parallel synthesis techniques
- State of the art and comprehensive knowledge of modern synthetic chemistry principles, reactions, and techniques
- Excellent scientific problem-solving skills and a track record of bringing forward successful innovative solutions to chemistry problems
- Extensive experience in drug discovery
- Comprehensive understanding of medicinal chemistry, ADME, and pharmacology
- Track record of utilizing structure and ligand-based methodologies to design compounds towards biological targets
- Previous experience managing and mentoring less experienced staff members
- Ability to be organized, work independently, report laboratory work to be safe and productive, while following priorities to work towards deadlines
- Experience with managing outsourcing collaborations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Extensive experience with the use of software (SciFinder, Reaxys) to effectively search scientific literature
- Knowledge of cheminformatics software utilized for library enumeration and profiling
Notice to third party recruitment agencies: Plexium does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of an executed recruitment services agreement, there will be no obligation to any referral compensation or recruiter fee.
In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without an agreement Plexium shall explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, shall be deemed the property of Plexium.